Federer and Berdych launch Laver Cup countdown in Prague
Tickets on sale February 24
Thousands of fans turned out to the Old Town Square in Prague today as Roger Federer, 18-time Grand Slam champion and one of the greatest players of all time, joined good friend and top ranked Czech player Tomas Berdych to officially launch the countdown to the Laver Cup.
“The Laver Cup is the most exciting new tournament we’ve seen in tennis for a very long time,” Roger Federer said, as he announced tickets go on sale this Friday, 24 February.
“I’m super excited about teaming up with some of my greatest rivals, like Rafa and Tomas. We’ve never had the chance to really sit on the sidelines and cheer each other on, and play doubles together, rather than facing each other on opposite sides of the net.
“This will be a very different experience for the players and the fans, and it’s great we are playing the first Laver Cup here in the beautiful city of Prague,” Federer continued.
Berdych spent the day acting as tour guide for Federer, joining him for a spectacular tennis match onboard a cruise boat traveling down the iconic Vltava River, showcasing the historic Charles Bridge, before meeting the Mayor of Prague Adriana Krnáčová and fans in the beautiful Old Town Square.
“It’s been great to have Roger visit us here in Prague today, and I’m so thrilled he’ll be back for the Laver Cup in September,” Berdych said.
“I know from experience how tough Roger is as an opponent, and personally will make it a mission to qualify for Laver Cup so we can be on the same team. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to compete on the same team as he and Rafa.
“It’s even more special to have the first Laver Cup here in my home city of Prague. I’m not biased at all when I say we have the best tennis fans in the world here and this tournament is like a gift for them. I know they’ll come out in force to cheer for their favourite players.”
Tickets for the eagerly awaited first edition of the Laver Cup go on sale at 10.00 am, Central European Time (CET) on Friday February 24 at www.ticketportal.cz.
Tickets are expected to be in high demand so fans are encouraged to get in early and book for this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The Laver Cup will mark the first time Federer has played in Prague for 10 years, with his last appearance a Davis Cup World Group Play-off in 2007.
LAVER CUP TICKET FAST FACTS:
- Multi-session tickets for the Laver Cup go on sale this Friday February 24 at 10.00 am (CET)
- Prices start at 4,500 CZK (approximately $180 US) for five sessions
- The Laver Cup will be held across five sessions over three days, Friday 22, Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 September at the O2 arena in Prague, Czech Republic
- Multi-session tickets guarantee fans get the same seat for all five sessions
- On Friday and Saturday the day session features two singles matches and the night session features a singles and a doubles match
- The deciding session on Sunday will feature from one to five live matches – as many as necessary to determine the winner.